Friday 30 November 2012

Egg noodle stir fry and garlic and pepper hake

This is a quick delicious meal that I made up this morning when I realized I only had 30 min to get dressed and pack my lunch. Pack my lunch? Upon close inspection of the food available to me, I figured I'd either order take-outs or eat something substandard for lunch- both of which were unacceptable in light of my current detox plan. So I decided to be brave and cook!



My ingredients:



For the noodles

100g Egg Noodles

3 tsb Tomato Pasta Sauce

3 tsb Honey

1 tsp Paprika

1 tsp Mixed Herb Spice

2 tsb Olive Oil

1 tsp Salt

½ Red Pepper Julienned (this means chop the peppers in strips)

1 Spring Onion

6 Sweet Cherry Tomatoes



For the Hake

Hake Fillet 50-100g

1 tsp Crushed Fresh Garlic

1 tsp Vinegar

½ tsp Ground Black Pepper

½ tsp Salt

1 tsb Olive Oil



Stir Fry Noodles

1. Boil the egg noodles until almost cooked- to do this you must keep tasting. On average you’re looking at 5 minutes at the most. If you cook them fully, they will get over done when you add the other ingredients.

(Runs to go change out of towel into clothes! Oh the process of choosing an outfit)

2. Drain excess water and add Olive Oil and fry lightly for a minute at low heat of 2/5 of maximum heat, adding Paprika, Mixed Herbs and Salt.

(Grabs make-up starts to draw eyebrows! Oops one is surprised and the other is confused. Rubs out drawing and attempts again...yes. Done)

3. Add Peppers, Tomatoes and Onions and fry lightly for a minute.

(Mmmm smacks on lipstick, powder, eyeliner- all in the wrong sequence but still looks presentable)

4. Add Pasta Sauce and Honey and mix well for another minute.

(Earrings, which ones to wear? Thinks- I really must throw some out! So much clutter. Bangles- easy choice. Rings. Done. Hmmm perfume? After cooking maybe. Shucks my face is sweaty already! )

5. Remove from heat and do not cover (on noodles will over cook)

(Breathe. Breathe. I'm late! But I need that fish. Shoes? Or Fish? Shoes? Or Fish--- both)



Hake

1. Gently rub garlic , ground pepper and salt onto the skinless side of the hake fillet.

(Shucks I need to repack my handbag from my clutch after last nights party shenanigans)

2. Pour on the vinegar and leave for a minute or so. Fish marinades fast and cooks fast generally

(Packs noodles in lunch box. Glances in the mirror- hmmm. Not happy. Should I change clothes? Too late. Aghhhhh!)

3. Warm up a non-stick pan with the Olive Oil to 3/5 of maximum heat.

4. Place the hake with the skinless/seasoned part facing up and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.

(Packs fish on top of noodles. Hmm... smells fish on fingers and clothes. perfume!!! Yey. Easy remedy. Or not? Sprays half the bottle! Good to go. Grabs bag. My book in case I get to read during lunch- yeah right? Takes it anyway. No harm in dreaming. Dashes for the door. Locks door. Did I switch stove off? Ahhh whatever. Walks to car. Forgot phone!! Walks up stairs. Unlocks door. Fetches phone from under pillow. Locks up. Leaves. Can't wait till lunch time;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hungry? Leave me a comment!