Monday 18 February 2013

Valentine’s Shmalentine’s at Fishmonger Restaurant


Zzz… as we ushered in yet another Valentine’s Day. I love love but I hate loving love when I feel forced to love it.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my boo and I would like to believe I do so daily, and I choose when to make it extra special. I see nothing wrong with dedicating one day in the year to LOVE but what annoys me is the commercial aspect to it, that then results in us mere mortals feeling the pressure to show our love materially. I have fallen prey to this Valentines stupidity one too many times- but no more. I realized that Love is continuous and constant and is not defined by a few chocolates, jewelry or flowers on one day.

The irony of it all is that my Boo decided to surprise me with a lovely dinner at an upmarket restaurant (well up-prices indeed). I really appreciated the gesture because a) I didn’t expect it b) it was at one of my favourite spots- Fishmonger. I absolutely love the Fishmonger in Illovo at Thrupps Shopping Centre, Joburg. It is warm and cozy with the best service ever- it feels like a family run restaurant- which is usually a winning formula. I was therefore quite eager to try the Nicolway restaurant/franchise. So I tossed my bitter Valentine’s attitude out of the window and threw on a sexy dress and cute heels. This Fishmonger is definitely a far cry from the sister shop in Illovo in terms of warmth and intimacy- however I think the general aesthetics at Nicolway are contemporary and brighter, creating a contrasting vibe to the older Thrupps infrastructure. We were placed at a table that was so close to the kitchen that I felt I could hear the chef’s knife clacking away. The service was excellent, so much that when they noticed we were uncomfortable ‘in the kitchen’, we soon found ourselves at a better more ambient table.

THE FOOD! Lord Have Mercy. After I managed to tear myself away from ordering my usual always-divine Prawn Curry, my Boo chose my meal for me in a rather ‘ini mini miny moe’ manner- and I think, overcome by momentary insanity, I conceded. I don’t remember the name but it was a dish with 10 Queen prawns cooked in a creamy beer and garlic sauce with a butternut and crème spinach side dish. It cost a whopping R170 however it was worth every penny. My boo had his usual Kingclip Thermidore which he loved however in his words, “Yours is better baby”- What’s that Shona saying again? “Murume asinganyepi haanyengi- The man that doesn’t occasionally tell a fib to please his woman will not succeed in love”. Tsk tsk!

While I prefer the Illovo restaurant for ambiance,  I would still recommend Fishmonger Nicolway for tantalizing, tasty food. Definitely worth putting my Valentines opinions aside and enjoying some good company.

His Kingclip Thermidor

Her Prawn in Beer and Garlic sauce

2 comments:

  1. loving the new look #inspirationgalore#

    ReplyDelete
  2. May u pliz do a fish edition for 5 days as well as recipes for easter and then i will of course copy some ideas from you. I promise to give credit where its due after all plagiarism is a crime

    ReplyDelete

Hungry? Leave me a comment!