Monday 22 April 2013

Delicious Butter-nut Shepherds Pie


The monotony of my eating plan is driving me absolutely crazy and I am often left wondering if healthy food is indeed boring (rather melodramatic- I know:-). I would say I cook rather tasty meals, however I have a tendency to cook the same ones out of pure laziness and ease, and this right here is killing me. While I am still very much in love with Butter-nut   my relationship with chicken is steadily approaching the rocks- yeah that’s right- me and my first love may not make through the woods if I don’t switch up my diet. Which is what led me to make my very first Butter-nut Shepherd’s Pie, and boy was it a hit! 

Random Fact: Did you know that Shepherd’s Pie is actually a type of Cottage Pie however cooked with Lamb only. Nowadays though the terms are used loosely and interchangeably. My friend Tina has a virtual gun to my head and so I must mention she pointed this out to me:-)

This meal serves 4.

INGREDIENTS


The Vegetables
1 large Butter-nut cubed

1 Red Onion julienned
½ Broccoli head split into sections
10 White Button Mushrooms sliced
1 Red/Green Pepper julienned
3 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 cloves of Garlic
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil


Mince Meat
100 g of Mince
2 Carrots cubed
1 Red/Green Pepper diced
1 can of Tomatoes
1 Red Onion diced
3 tablespoons of Tomato Sauce
2 Garlic crushed
2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
Salt, Herbs, Paprika and Barbecue Spices- (basically your choice)

Butternut Mash

1)      Cut the butter-nut into cubes and boil
2)      When soft, drain and remove from heat.
3)      Mash the butter-nut and if necessary add a little milk to make it smooth.

METHOD


Mince Meat

1)      Heat up some vegetable oil in a pan and fry the mince until it has browned.
2)      Add onions, carrots and garlic to the mince and fry till the onions are translucent. Also add your           salt, herbs, paprika and barbecue spice.
3)      Add the peppers and the can of tomato and mix well. Leave to cook until tomatoes are cooked.
4)      Add tomato sauce and half a cup of hot water.
5)      Lower heat and leave to simmer.

Vegetables

1)      Heat up some olive oil in a pan and empty all vegetables into it.
2)      Mix the vegetables well while they cook, adding the soy sauce.
3)      Add some salt (if needed) and pepper to taste.
4)      Mix the vegetables and the mincemeat.

The Finale-(PIE)

1)      Place the  mixture in an oven dish and smooth it out to make it flat.
2)      Spread the butter-nut mash over the mince and veg and smooth it out.
3)      Sprinkle two pinches of cinnamon on top.
4)      Bake at 240 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes then brown the top. (add butter on top to enhance the browning)
5)      ENJOY!



1 comment:

  1. Virtual gun huh? i shall keep my secrets closely guarded. But that food looks yummy.... friend. Dont u wanna do me a favour - make me lunch some time......

    ReplyDelete

Hungry? Leave me a comment!