Monday 29 April 2013

Lunch at Katjusha's Fried Tilapia and Nshima

Yeoville is Joburg’s hub for a myriad of cultures from all over Africa, and fortunately what follows is an even wider choice of cuisines to excite the pallet. I have had the privilege of dining at a couple of restaurants in the area and each experience has been adventurous, delightful and left me wanting more. Having decided that for my own safety and because I lack the confidence to venture into Yeoville alone, I did some research and was pleased to find that Randburg has its fair share of African Restaurants.

On the edge of Randburg, somewhere close to Bryanston, I came across the restaurant and pub, Katjusha’s. Humble and hidden behind a local shopping centre, this place is misleading. What seemed like a simple pub from the outside turned out to be a warm, friendly and well run establishment. And what’s even more endearing is the Fish and Nshima (Sadza/Pap) that comes second only to my mother’s own version. 

The Chef, Danny, is a cool fellow who took my complements in his stride and went on to tell stories of his escapades in the olden day Zimbabwe.

My host for the day, Nyembe, provided entertainment in the form of his own tales and managed to distract me from what would otherwise have been a lonely lunch with my novel for company. All in all I enjoyed my experience and vowed to return with a hungry and nostalgic contingent.


Nshima and Tilapia Fish


Chef Danny At The Entrance


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hungry? Leave me a comment!