Tuesday 16 April 2013

Dinner at The Maslow

My recent lifestyle escapades saw me dining at the Sandton's newest hotel and 'It-Spot', The Maslow. Situated on the edge of South Africa's Wall street district this really is a classy hotel. Our dinner invitation requested that we dress to the nines, and upon arrival, it was clear that riff raff are not part of the outfit on any given day. The cars parked outside, the suave patrons, the sophisticated ambiance- sigh...Let's just say I found myself questioning what ranks high on my hierarchy of needs.






We were ushered to the Lacuna Private Dining Room where we were greeted by a very friendly team of waiters. I am a sucker for good service and this here started my evening off on the right foot.



The menu was a set 3 course meal, with a choice of one out of 2 or 3 options in each course. I thoroughly enjoyed my starter which was a Fresh Tomato and Basil Tart; the alternatives being Warm Spanish Paella Salad or Szalouk Salad. The former was a generous portion that many failed to finish, the latter was a salad that was uneventful from what I gathered.

Fresh Basil and Tomato Tart- Absolutely Delicious
Szalouk Salad



For my mains I chose to have the  Pan seared Linefish with Moroccan spiced vegetable Tagine. After having loved working in a Moroccan restaurant before, I am always  ready to partake in the flavoursome delicacies from the North. Absolutely tender and succulent and well cooked- the fish was epic! The spice on the side of the plate went unidentified as I was too caught up in the meal to ask our lovely waitress what it was, but it definitely complemented the dish. And yes, you guessed it, the vegetables were great too.

Pan Seared Linefish
The alternative to my fish was a Marinated Lamb Shank confit with mash and steamed asparagus. I know! What was I thinking ordering fish over lamb? Heck, I don't know but this was just as delicious. I cannot compare the taste of the two but both did it for me in their own ways- just superb!

Marinated Lamb Shank confit with mash and steamed asparagus
By the time the dessert came, I was stuffed, which explains why I ordered 'cereal' as a sweet! The Seasonal Fruit Clafoutis was boring, strange tasting and made me pine for the Leopard Tiramisu or even the Signature Lacuna XXL Chocolate Delight- though I must confess, I was way too stuffed to care- I didn't even get a chance to take any more pictures.



Overall The Maslow experience was great and the food was top notch. I am sure it cost someone a lot too. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes I am starving now!!! I would love to go and try the food you describe,I can just taste it as I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fancy. Officially on my places to eat at list.

    ReplyDelete

Hungry? Leave me a comment!